Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to Count the # of Groups in the report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampierce

Programmer
Dec 29, 2008
US
Hello All! I'm new to the forum and have a question about counting groups!
I have a report that has 1 group - Ticket #'s, this group also has a formula attached to it to suppress certain Ticket #'s.
I would like to be able to put the Total # of Tickets in the Report Header based on the Ticket #'s that are not suppressed.
For example:
12 (suppressed)
12345(suppressed)
I would expect to see 5 at the header level...

Any idea on how I can accomplish this? When I try to do a formulat to set a value to 1 or 0 based on my suppression formula and then do a sum of that formual it tells me I can't sum a summary...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

you can use a running total instead of summary and use the same formula in the EVALUATE area to consider the field.

However running total you can get group total at the group footer ..I am sure you can not get correct results at the group header.

You could always follow njahnavi's advice then insert a formula in the header which references the running total which you inserted into the footer. You could then suppress the running total in the footer.

hi tsouth4 ..I have never used this reference for a running total..how can we do that...Please share with us so that we can use it in future reporting

We're you able to create a running total? Running totals must be inserted into footers to work properly. After inserting it in the footer you could just create a formula which references that running total and you can insert it into the group header. i.e.. create a formula and in the formula workshop just insert your {#running total}. Than you can suppress your running total in the footer.

I was able to create a running total, I had to do a distinct count though b/c if i just did count, it counted every detail record I had listed as they have the ticket # as well. I was able to put the running total in the group header. Although this works, I would really rather be able to show this number at the Report Header level. If anyone knows how this can be accomplished that would be great, otherwise I'll go with this. Thanks for the help already given!

Please provide the content of the formula you used to suppress certain groups.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back