Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to copy non RAID drive to RAID-1 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coorsman

Technical User
Nov 25, 2008
US
The server we purchased is W2003 - 5 drive bays and RAID1.

Unfortuantly when orignally installed it wasn't set up as a RAID machine, it only had one drive. It failed, and I installed a new 500GB drive, didn't set it up as raid, and reinstalled software.

Now I want to install 2 more 500GB and set them up as RAID-1, (i think 1 is my only option as it's an older machine).

After installing the 2 new RAID drives, how do I image the old system drive to the RAID drives?

Cheers,
Coorsman

It can't be that old if it can take 500GB drives, Check to see if it will support raid 5, as I fail to see any benefit you would get from going to a raid 1 3 drive system.

If it doesn't support raid 5, it should support hot spares, so in this case I would set it up as a raid 1 only using 2 drives, and set the third drive as a hot spare. Now depending on the raid card,level of firmware,and software used, you may be able to create the new raid array as a 1 and keep the data, after all it is just a mirror, and some higher end raid cards support this feature.

There is also the option of software raid, and windows server 2k3 supports raid 0,1,5. Also as a note If your raid card supports raid level 1, it would also support raid level 0.

The machine is 3 hours away and I have to do this on a Sunday when they are closed, lucky me.

I'm not sure of the raid5, the server is a Nobilis i201-TR and was purchased in 2006.

So is there a way to
1. create the raid 1 or 5 2 drive array.
2. restore from the orignal system drive using a backup program Ghost etc,to the raid drives?

Cheers,
Coorsman

Raid 5 has to have a minimum of 3 drives.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Thanks, that should be no problem at $75 dollars each.

Cheers,
Coorsman

should be no issue to do a partition to partition copy, if the drive running now has the driver for the raid card installed.

I purchased 3 more 500GB drives $59 each, wow I remember when 10MB was $500 on a IBM-PC lol.

No, the drive does not have any raid or drivers, I was looking at another post about using paragon migration software, looks like this might work for me.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back