Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to convert foxpro reports into word documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstema

Programmer
May 6, 2001
US
I print out my reports from a foxpro for DOS application using PCL codes. This way the printed document looks better. Now I have a client who needs to have the document in MSWord format (doc). I have a dos based tool to convert that pcl file to pdf but I couldn't find one for Word.
dstema

Since DOS and DOS-based utilities/applications (Foxpro or other) have no "awareness" of the existence of Windows or Windows applications (such as M$Word) and, therefore, no knowledge of how to "talk" to them, you may be facing a challenge.

In fact I even question the Programming Command Language (PCL) to PDF utility that you have really working with DOS.

If you are going from an FPW or VFP application this can be accomplished via DDE or another means, but for FPD I do not know of a way to do this.

The FPD 2.6 Help file mentions DDE but indicates that it only functions with Windows-to-Windows applications such as FP for Windows.

Perhaps one of the other people out there will have a solution for you, but I can't imagine that it would be a "neat & clean" solution.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Here is how you can do it:

1: Create a Word Doc that looks like your report.

2: Open the doc up as a file in FoxPro, and look at the "coding" that word uses to "format" the text.

3: Have FoxPro create a file with a .doc extention that has your info with the Word Doc "coding" at the nessacary places.

After you do this open up the newly made doc to see the results.

B"H
Brak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back