Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to compare two tables and list the differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdLentz

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
I have two identical tables in two different DBs. In the one I will be adding data, once all finished the I need will copy all that data to the other db.table. Later on I want to run a query to see if there has been any additions to the first table. Comparing the two tables seems to me the way to go. I am trying to catch someone adding data to the first table. I kinda have a query but it doesn't show the "New" additions to the first table which are not in the second table.

Code:
select id, user, description,tech
       from (
           select id, user, description, tech
           from test.devices
           union all
           select id, user, description, tech
           from test1.devices)
       temp
       group by id, user, description,tech
       having count(*)>1

This code shows all the entries in the first table, even though there is a different entry than in the second table.

Help??

Thanks

Hi feherke

Thanks for replying. I briefly looked up triggers. Looks interesting. That would tell me if someone inserted into the table for sure. I would also want to know "What" they inserted. I will try the except and see if I can make that work

Thanks again

Ed

I figured out how to use the trigger to update a table, Works sweet. Now to send an email telling of the new record.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back