Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to change OS on HP laptop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I have come into posession of an HP Pavilion dv9500 that has CentOS installed. I need to change that to a different OS, I have burned the ISO to DVD.
On startup, I entered the Setup and made sure that boot options had DVD before laptop drive, but when I boot up, the DVD unit briefly spins, then CentOS takes over and I am blocked.
How can I get the laptop to boot to the DVD ?
I tried removing the hard drive from the laptop to plug it into my trusty USB reader, but that specific drive has wierd pin settings that are incompatible with the standard. Thanks for making everything more difficult, HP !

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

UPDATE :
Okay, my bad. Microsoft's Vista Home Premium ISO is not boot enabled.
I'm going to have to redo the damn thing with boot enabled.
Pfft. Forget about this. Sorry to have bothered you for nothing.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Oh, and pro tip : don't burn bootable ISOs to a DVD-RW.
For some strange reason, they don't work on RW media.
Lesson learned.

Normally for the older machines, you need to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed. The older CD drives can't read 52X CDs.

You're right and I thank you for pointing it out.
Don't worry, I burned the proper ISO image at 8x.
It worked :)

I rely on Ventoy and a USB thumb drive for my ISOs. No more DVD burning for me.

DVD burning in 2024 sounds crazy, I've always had my USB drive with my ISOs, almost made it a necklace with it

I agree with @teknance and @tyredon. My portable, bootable ITB USB WD 'My Passport' drive that boots into the Ventoy front-end has 33 ISO files on it that Ventoy allows me to boot into, including the Macrium Reflect Free rescue ISO (plus my MR image backups). I would never go back to CD/DVD use now.

If the machine is old enough that it's still using DVD, (since OP mentions an HP laptop), the OS may not support bootable USB.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS, ATD

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

First post indentifies it as an HP Pavilion DV9500. IIRC this model was first introduced in 2007 with Vista.

The HP Pavilion dv9500 Maintenance and Service Guide shows, under Setup Utility > Boot Options (page 109):

USB Floppy
ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive
Hard drive
USB Diskette on Key
USB Hard drive
Network adapter

It should be fine to boot from eithe USB HDD or USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back