Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to backup one database and restore into another SQL installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBMac

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
I have a live environment running SQL version 8 with two databases - one live and one for testing and training. In order to test a new version of the software, I need to create a sandbox server where I can load the newest version and test before introducing into the live system.

Therefore, I have a Test server operating in a different domain running the same version of SQL.

What I want to do is backup the live database from the live domain - copy the backup file to a public space and restore it over the database on the Test server. Then we'll be able to use current data to test software.

I have achieved the first two steps - backed it up and copied the backup file to a shared space. But, when I try to do a restore from the Test server, the only options presented are backups created from there and I do not know how to specify the file I want tit to restore from.

To recap : Server Live runs with Database Production

Server Test runs with Database TestData

I backed up Production and I want to restore it over TestData

On the test server run the RESTORE DATABASE command manually.
Code:
RESTORE DATABASE YourDatabase FROM DISK='\\Server\Share\Path\To\File.bak'

Check Books OnLine for more information on the RESTORE DATABASE command.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back