Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to add new fields to Access Backend and update front-end forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

nells

Technical User
Sep 15, 2001
GB
I have an access db running over LAN. The db is split with backend of server and frontend (Forms, reports etc.) runing on desktops. I need to add several fields to backend. How do I update the frontend forms to 'see'the new fields ?

See thread181-30072 for a part of your puzzle. Updating the individual Front end objects is only done by the "HumInt" (Human Intelligence" e.g. ProgrammER/[/red] - not by Program). The remainder is A pratical soloution to the updating of individual objects in the UI.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

normally the updates must be seen on a main screen that isn't edited, kind of like a status screen where one would watch inventory or shipments coming in and out.
I've made many apps like this that use a timer system. Each form has a timer event at the bottom of the events listed in the properties of the form. You can set the timer to a value like 10000 and the event to docmd.requery. That will update the screen. If you don't want to annoy your users with unexpected updates, set the increment to a lower number like 5000, and have it update a global variable "updateCount" to UpdateCount + 1. When "UpdateCount" is, say, 5, then Requery. Then, Add another routine for onmousemove which resets UpdateCount to 0.

-Dan Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back