Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to add login, passwd to HardHat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmachado

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
My company is using HardHat Rev.1.2 as a server on a piece of hardware. Because of the limited memory space, this is a very stripped down version of linux. Currently, the OS automatically starts a Root login that a user can access via Telnet or Serial Port with no password. I need to add password protection. Can anybody give me an idea of what I need to do for this? What software is needed?

If I seem a bit wordy, its just that I have been having a hard time explaining my situation to people so that they understand the problem.

Thanks for any help...

Don

I'm not too familiar with HardHat, so I'll ask some obvious questions... does the passwd command work? If not, does HardHat give you the crypt command? If so, you could crypt your desired password and stick that output into your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow (again, I'm totally unfamiliar with HardHat).

That was a great idea and what I actually did was encrypt a password on RedHat, then use it to insert into my /etc/passwd file on HardHat. Still, it didn't work.

In anycase, we're talking about hundreds of embedded systems and maybe thousands of users. I couldn't make them all edit their passwd file this way...

Does everybody agree that if I am able to install login and passwd applications, that this should be enough to implement users and passwords? Too much or too simple? I seem to have problems getting the libraries to work too. can't get rid of the errors...Argh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back