Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to add another VM to current ESXi HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfordz

Technical User
Nov 18, 2008
US
VMware ESXi 5.5 /vSphere 5.5

I've been tasked with setting up/adding another VM to our ESXi server; I'm not VMware or Linux proficient so I'd like some good advise and direction on how to accomplish this if possible. We currently have 2 VM's running on our ESXi server.

From what I can tell one VM is riding on a 500GB HDD and the second is riding on a 2TB drive with only 500GB being used for the VM.

Do I need separate HDD for each VM or can I setup/add another partition on the 2TB drive for a 3rd VM?
The 3rd VM will replace the 2nd with the 2nd being shut down; so in the end I'll only have 2 VM running on this ESXi server.

What I don't know is how to get access to the unused space on the 2TB drive and make it usable for another VM installation using the vSphere client.

TIA
Brad

You set up a virtual hard drive on a datastore.

You don't need to partition. You can create a new VM, and set up a virtual hard drive on your datastore.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

gbaughma,
Thanks for your input!

After a little more reading and research I realized all I had to do was expand out the size of my datastore.

The datastore I wanted to use was set at 500GB (2TB HDD) so I expanded it out to 1000GB which gave me room for my new VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back