Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to access 8006 - Anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2000
GB
Dear All,

We have a Nortel 8006 which has fitted a 8616SXE 16 port fibre card and a 8616GTE 16 gigabit card. There seems to be a management card (8691SF/256) which as a serial port for the console and an ethernet port.

It's a long story but the original provider (BT) didn't enable the 16 port gigabit card and now want a crazy amount of money to enable it. Is there a way I can plug a PC into it and access the config. They said the same thing about our baystack 460 switches. I managed to connect to that and enable the fibre ports with no problem. They wanted to get us to pay for engineer callout and on site charges. They hadn't changed the default password so I'm hoping it's the same with this beast.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

You have to determine your access level to the unit first.
Can you telnet? console? JDM? (Java Device Manager).

Easiest way to enable a card is from JDM.
Merely right click on the card and hit 'Enable'

If you don't have JDM, you can do same from CLI (which can be accessed through console or telnet):

Passport-8610:6# config slot 2 state enable
(this assumes the 8616 that you wish to enable is in slot 2)
Then you must save your config via:
Passport-8610:6# save config
(note the output as this will show your current config file)

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks HungryHouse,

By any chance, do these things have default IP addresses configured. I've yet to plug my PC into it but I don't know what IP address to connect to. Do you know what the default password might be?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is not a default IP.

There are several different levels of access dependent on what type of control you want the user to have.

Try this one...simple and one that allows you access to most everything:

Username: RW
Password: RW

Try this from the serial console since you don't know your IP yet.
See if that works.

You may find the 8006 is acting as your default gateway, ours does.. you could try throwing that into device managaer
the default snmp communitys are public and private , your vendor should certainly supply the current ones to you if they have changed them.

Thanks for the help so far. I've connected via a terminal session and managed to look at the config. I've enabled the webserver and I can now connect to it via internet explorer. However, I can only login with a username of ro and a password of ro. I'm guess this is Read Only. I tried to log in with the username RW but this didn't work. Is there an account to get it working.

Also I cannot see where on the web interface you would right click to enable a slot. I guess becasue of the rights I only see certain things.

Thanks for helping again. Almost there.

Yes, as a read-only user you will have limits on what you can see and do. The 'rwa' user has complete control over the box, by default its password is also 'rwa'.
What version of software are you running? You could stick a flash card in the PCMCIA slot and copy the config to it, if your running an older version you'd be able to see the usernames and passwords.

Actually, there are a couple accounts that might be able to enable a blade... perhaps they haven't had their passwords changed, by default the password is the same as the username:
l1 (that's a lower case L)
l2
l3
rw
rwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back