Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need the ability to paste in a list of values into a parameter in Crystal XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpjeffm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2015
US
Good morning. I have a report where I need the ability to paste in multiple values into a parameter prompt. The values will come from a vertical list in a text file and can range from 1 to hundreds so it would be tedious to have to enter these manually. The values will always be alpha/numeric (no special characters).

Here's an example of the list:

ABC0001
ABC3771
1DK3389
BAS3381

Also, users will be using a Crystal viewer to run this report so utilizing a formula isn't an option as they won't have a full version of Crystal XI.

Thanks for any help with this.

Are these values from a database field? Why not just dynamically query that field when you create/edit the parameter field?

Macola Software Veteran and SAP Business One Consultant on Training Wheels

Check out our Macola tools:

These values are in a database field but I only want to query the values from my external list (see attached screenshot).
2020-04-14_11-40-37_1_erew5l.png

I found a way to do this. First, you create a parameter but don't make it a multi-value parameter. Second, in your record selection, you add something like this:

totext({Database.Field}) in split ({?Parameter},",")

This allows you to paste a list in the parameter, separated by a comma. Just make sure there are no spaces in the list and that there is no trailing comma at the end of the list.

If the field is a character field, which it should be given the data you've shared, you don't need the call to ToText() and calling it could slow down your report.

-dell

Senior Manager, Data & Analytics
Protiviti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back