Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need suggestions on VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddiekg

Programmer
Oct 13, 2009
MY
Dear all,

I have a project that use Visual FoxPro application as front-end client and the backend database is FoxPro's DBC and DBF. The requirement is the database will be stored at a remote file server (in other country) that loaded with Window Server 2008. We will have full access of the file server. We also need to setup a VPN connection to the server so that we can connect that server as part of the Windows worgroup in this local office.

I don't have any VPN experience. Please kindly give me some suggestions and options that I can consider.

Many Thanks in advance.

Freddie

I use router to router IPSEC VPNs. The advantages are zero software changes on any computer and (if the subnets are unique) no internal network changes. Disadvantages are cost, and no NetBIOS name lookup (\\myserver\myfolder\ does not work, but \\192.168.1.25\myfolder\ does work)

You can also build Router to software client VPNs and Server to software client VPNs. I have not used them, but if your client travels, they have real charm.

Thirdly, you can use RDP, VNC, PC Anywhere, Citrix, logmein, etc. to display remotely what is really a local operation. We do a fair amount of this inside our VPN. (The VPN secures us from outsiders, VNC secures applications from insiders)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back