Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need SQL to derive DATETIME as 1st Day of Last Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

btturner

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Need SQL to derive DATETIME as 1st Day of Last Month

EG.. If it's Aug 12 2004 I need a single SQL statement to derive: '2004-07-01 00:00:00.000'

thanks in advance

Code:
CAST(CAST(MONTH('Aug 12 2004') as varchar(2)) + '/01/' + CAST(YEAR('Aug 12 2004') AS varchar(4)) as datetime)

Here's how I come up with the first of the previous month (I did not create this, I got it from another poster on Tek-Tips but I don't remember who to give credit to).

Code:
DECLARE @start_dt SMALLDATETIME

IF MONTH(GETDATE()) = 1
  BEGIN
    SELECT
      @start_dt = '12/1/' + CONVERT(CHAR(4), YEAR(GETDATE()) - 1)
  END
ELSE 
  BEGIN
    SELECT
      @start_dt = CONVERT(CHAR(2), MONTH(GETDATE()) - 1) + '/1/' + CONVERT(CHAR(4), YEAR(GETDATE()))
  END

Still working on another way of doing it, but here's a start:

Code:
SELECT DATEADD(MONTH,-1,DATEADD(DAY,DATEDIFF(DAY,0,GETDATE(),0))

The first DATEADD changes 08 to 07. The second DATEADD changes the time to 00:00:00.000. Now I just need to get the day figured out.

-SQLBill

Whoops. Missed the part about <i>last month</i>. Even though SQLBill already got it, I modified mine to work the way you want:
Code:
CAST(CAST((CASE MONTH('Aug 12 2004') WHEN 1 THEN 12 ELSE MONTH('AUG 12 2004')-1 END) AS VARCHAR(2)) + '/01/' + CAST((CASE MONTH('Aug 12 2004') WHEN 1 THEN YEAR('Aug 12 2004') - 1 ELSE YEAR('Aug 12 2004') END) AS VARCHAR(4)) AS DATETIME)

Check this out...it's really not pretty and I haven't tested efficiency. But it seems to work.

Code:
select dateadd(month,-1,(dateadd(day, -(datepart(day,getdate()-1)), (dateadd(day,datediff(day,0,getdate()),0)))))

-SQLBill

Oh the things you can do with code.

Code:
SELECT Convert(datetime,Convert(int,Convert(float,DateAdd(m,-1,GetDate()-Day(GetDate())+1))))

-- and even shorter:

SELECT DateAdd(m,-1,Convert(varchar(8),GetDate(),112))-Day(GetDate())+1

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back