Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some simple help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShainsawNib

Technical User
Aug 31, 2009
US
OK.. I was rummaging through my old 'tech box' and I pulled out a compaq 36.4GB 80 PIN ULTRA160 Internal HDD... Its a 10000 RPM one..

My question is about speed and setting it up in my pc wich doesnt have a RAID or SCSI setup at the moment... And I have never messed with RAID or SCSI Before

1) How do I find out how may MB/s the drive can read/write?
2) If I set it up in a Raid 0 config, is it possible to double the Read/Write Speed If I had another HD?
3) Where can I find a cheap PCI card to set it up, would something like this work?

Hello,

1 - you can go on the manufacturer site to see if you can get technical notes about performance.
But the best way is to install the HDD and perform a bench with hdtach, since performances can be altered by the OS or other things.

2 - yes, but you must have the 'same' disk (rpm and other). And remember that if a disk crashes, you lose the ENTIRE raid-0 array.

3 - I don't see what that would not work.

But buying a scsi card just to plug a 'poor' 36,4 GB...
You can buy a 1 TB disk plugged in sata 2 (300 MB/sec) or sas if you have a computer which is not very old.

Agreed - it's probably a "why bother" situation since you don't have a SCSI controller in your tool box.

It would be a "fun experiment" if you had that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back