Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need some SAP career advice.. can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmodele

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
I worked at Harvard University at a job thats more or less like SAP Basis Admin. I want to learn SAP and move away from the nonprofit scene. Unfortunately, the system I learned at Harvard is only used there. My plan is to get certified in SAP Basis Admin and move all of my experience to more lucrative platform. I have a couple questions that I hope someone here could answer:

- Should I learn SAP/Unix? or for windows? I wonder.. what is the most common? What should I start with?

- How do I find companies that use SAP? I know for example that Reebok near Boston (where I live) uses it.. but thats about it. Should I contact an SAP recuiter?

Basically, Im sick of learning all this complex stuff thats only applicable in Harvard because they are a nonprofit that uses the most outdated and ridicules software. I have some great experience in interfacing their old systems and making them work.. I used Perl, Excel, Access via ODBC, SQL queries, etc to comb the database and remove corrupt records and tune performance, etc. I know I can apply this to a Basis Admin job, but I need to know what to study and where to enter. Please, Ive been following this forum for a while and I know you guys really know your stuff.. what should I do? How should I go about this? Is my plan of get certified and starting out, using my parallel Harvard experience, going to work? Please, any help will be appreciated greatly!

How about you take this route.

1.) Go to monster.com and see who is hiring and for what, then structure your learning towards the job marker.
--> I would guess you will find UNIX to be the flavor of choice.

2.) Try going to a SAP user conference or simply search job postings to find the companies in the SAP areas.

Hope it helped..
Dave
SAP Basis Admin. OMX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back