Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some reading material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreativeMFS

Programmer
Feb 6, 2011
US
Hey guys, I am new to assembly, I currently use C++ and VB. I am having trouble getting started with assembly. I have been reading my processors tech manual, reading code online, and trying to program assembly using FASM. I am slowly getting it, but very slowly...

Do any of you guys know any real good resources for beginners? Or any advice?

Thank you, Mike.

p.s. sorry for the lame post.

Also I am having trouble understanding this

if push eax is written, does that push what is on the stack into eax?
what about pop eax?

I am just using eax to be general, Im not sure if that is a register I should be using in this example.

You can visualize a stack like one of those stacks of dishes in a cafeteria. you load the new dishes onto the top and take them off the top. A push copies the specified data onto the top of the stack and a pop takes it off. You need to insure you match your pushes and pops, as you can cause program crashes if you don't.
As far as reading material, "The Zen of Assembly Language Knowledge" by Michael Abrash is highly recommended. Also recommended is "The Art of Assembly Language" by Randall Hyde. Both of these can be Downloaded for free from various sites. Just do a web search for those titles.

if push eax is written, does that push what is on the stack into eax?

It means push what is in EAX onto the stack.

what about pop eax?

It means put the contents of the top of the stack into EAX. As was said, be sure that what you do matches.

I am just using eax to be general, Im not sure if that is a register I should be using in this example.

Yes, it's good since its one of your processing registers.

p.s. sorry for the lame post.

Nothing wrong with it. Got to learn sometime somewhere and got to ask questions if you don't understand something.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back