Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help with URL rewriting

Status
Not open for further replies.

afroblanca

Programmer
Jul 15, 2005
US
Hey all,

I'm wanting to build a site that uses URL rewriting. It will serve up all content from a single page, let's call it which will be passed a querystring with an article identifier. However, I want users to see nice, human-readable, SEO-friendly URLs. Stuff like or
This would seem like the perfect scenario for URL rewriting. However, from everything I've read, URL rewriting in .NET is no simple matter! All we are given is a single, poorly-documented function, HttpContext.RewritePath. What's more, it seems like there are many, many pitfalls to URL rewriting in .NET - apparently it crashes search engine spiders, messes up relative URLs, and does other nasty things. This is very distressing!

Anyway, I'm looking for a nice, simple, clean way to do URL rewriting in .NET, one that doesn't involve a lot of hacks and workarounds. What's the best way to do this?

Some say that .NET's URL rewriting facilities are so hopeless that I should seek out a third-party component to accomplish the task. Is this the case? If so, what is the best package? If this is not the case, and .NET's built-in facilities will do just fine, what do I need to do to make sure that everything works the way it should? Remember, I want something nice and clean, without a lot of hacks and workarounds. Is there any site that has good documentation forHttpContext.RewritePath and its myriad overloads?

Also, are there any good tutorials for accomplishing URL rewriting in .NET?

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back