Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help on installing a new SSL certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

westaros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
SE
Hi, I've got a Win2k Server running IIS5.0. We've used a VeriSign certificate for SSL for a long time. Now it's time to renew it.

Due to several admins administrating the same server, the renewing didn't go very well.

One admin made a request and sent it to receive a new secure server certificate. That put the server in "waiting" for you to enter the new certificate.

Then another admin did the same thing again, so that the original request disappeared. Now I've to clean up the mess.

I got the new certificate from verisign, but I can't just run it on renew since the old request isn't around.

What I've done is to just do a new certificate installation and that worked fine. The problem is that all SSL sites no longer works when using the new certificate.

I can switch back and forth between the old/new, and when I use the old one everything works as it should again. The only difference I see between the certs is that the old one says: * "You have a private key that corresponds to this certificate". The new doesn't have that line.

The admin who requested the cert said he had to give them a password, I have that password but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use somewhere. I would like the new cert to also say the thing about private key, maybe SSL will kick in when using that cert then.

Thankful for any help on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back