Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help on a new network please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yosef

Programmer
Dec 8, 2002
IL
I just moved into a new house, and we decided to wire the whole house. We used someone to do the wiring who we have used before for commercial work we had. He is an expert in getting the cables through the wall with little or no damage to the walls, but he is not a network guy. At all the jacks he terminated the Cat5e cable to one of those crimp-less jacks which is rated for cat5e. At the cabling closet he left all of the runs unterminated. My question is: Can I just put cat5e modular plugs on the end of these runs and plug straight into a hub, or do I have to use a patch panel. I don't understand the reason for a patch panel other than it makes the installation neater. Also, he terminated the wires to 658A standard. From what I understand as long as I use 658A at the hub it should be fine. I did some temporary crimps and the network seems to be working ok. However, at two jacks the connection would flash on and off. At one of the jacks Ireplaced both sides and it worked fine for a while, but then started acting up again. Is there anything I can do to test it without a tester? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

If you are going between a hub/switch and a nic it does not matter if you use 568A or 568B as long as both ends are the same. A patch panel is used for neatness and to make changes quicker since you don't have to search for the cable you want. On a small network it isn't needed. It's not easy to test for intermittent problems on cable without a good tester but make sure you have the same resistance on all wires and no shorts between any wires with a VOM would be a good start. If the installer used staples to anchor the wire he may have speared one of the wires. The wire may be too close to a power run somewhere also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back