Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help\info on rambus

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
I do charity work, put units together that go to schoolkids who dont have a computer at home. Keeps me busy and i get to learn.
I get a lot of mobos donated to my charity and i have some intel boards that take rambus rdram.
I have read that one must install this type of ram in pairs and that all ram slots must be filled. An alternative is to fill the first 2 slots with
standard rdram and then use what is called "crimms" to fill in the bare slots.

Do I have the right info so far?
I have a few pair of these crimms, these are very plain, but i also have a different one. It says CTRIMM on it and it has some of transitors or something on it as opposed to the relatively blank green crimm.
Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of this ctrimm? Can it be used in place of a crimm?
Btw, google wasnt a lot of help for me on this, I know you people will be, so thanks in advance.

you don't always have to install in pairs, but every slot has to be filled. So u can have 1 rambus-module and a few blank modules to fill up. but some mobos need specific installation, so you MAY have to fill them by pairs.

the blank rimms (called continuous memory) are the one to fill behind the memory rimms.

I suppose what you call transistor is a memory chip. At least I don't remember to have seen transistors on a rambus rimm.

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

yes, I meant to say it was some sort of chip,actually 4 yellow chips and a black one, and the circuitry that goes with it, this is on the CTRIMM that i have on hand. I wonder what it is used for, cant seem to find much on google about it.

Thanks for the info on the fact that not all mobos require you to use a pair of rambus sticks, that some will allow the use of just one stick, long as the rest of the slots are filled with crimms, i think thats the right word.
thanks

Im just trying to remember the names, but i think the blank module is also called a crimm module, while the actual stick that has memory on it is called, i think, a rimm module. But, again, I have this other module thats called a CTRIMM module, with the chips on it, i would like to know what that is all about.

the ctrimm is in fact the "blank" module, CT stands for Continuity Termination, while crimm is the memory module.

Try this site for further information: ComputerMemoryUpgrade

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

thanks, i went there.
There is a bit of info, but surprisingly very little, doesnt say anything about the "dummy" sticks.
Even the faq section doesnt say much.
It did point out that P4 mobos require 2 sticks at a time and that with some P3 mobos you can use only one stick.

I am interested in finding out about the difference between these "dummy" or "blank" sticks I have and the other stick that isnt really a ram module, but has the chips on it, the CTRIMM module that i have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back