Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some guidance as far as pricing....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gannon33

Technical User
Sep 14, 2002
US
Hello,
I am designing a site for a good friend of mine (this is the first time I am doing this for anyone). We talked about price before I started the project. Since then, the site has grown into a bigger project. It is a very photo oriented site. I have done all of the photo editing and uploading. He is well aware that this will cost more than we originally discussed. He suggested that I talk to some other designers before coming up w/ a final price so I did not undercharge. (Don't you wish all people were like this!)
I need an assesment of what to charge in terms of a set fee or an hourly rate. I normally set an hourly rate or a flat fee for any work I do, but as this was something that blossomed along the way, I'm just looking for some input.
Here's the site address: Thanks in advance.

John
A+

try a search for the keyword "cost" in the advanced search tool for the last 6 months. this has been discussed a few times between various designers and I'm sure you'll get plenty of direction form those threads.
[sup] [/sub]

This question has been asked at one point or another by every web designer, programmer...
Unlike other professions, in web designing there really is no guidelines to follow, it all depends on what kind of site is, images wise, layout wise, how much work is entailed and so forth...
Like you my company, Imajin Arts, did a site for a friend which I charged very little (I won't go into specific details about how much of a "friend-discount" I gave, but let's just say that it wasn't nearly enough)...
All I can say is charge depending on level of expertise...expertise doesn't necessarly mean how many professional jobs you've done, but how much knowledge you have what you can do your client...like onpnt suggested try searching on google.com for a price comparission chart...but in the end only you can make a just choice as to what to charge... I have not failed; I have merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

When I first enter a project I might use a flat fee such as $25 per HTML page and graphics intensive work such as logo creation (this excludes any web optimization) at $75/hour.
This would give me a very rough, ballpark number.

Then I move onto the complexity of the site, such as database connectively, DHTML, form validation, etc. If it is a simple static site then I decrease my $25/page pricing.

I also consider why I want to take this project...portfolio building, purely for income, help out a friend. If I am real busy, then I increase my price. Conversely, I am actively looking for a project, I might reduce my price.

Again there is no magic formula, but maybe this gives you an idea on how I approach a web site project.

Mickey

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how much expertise you really have. If you can do just as good of a job as the best designers, and your client knows it, and you do do it, you can charge whatever you want, regardless of how much expertise you have. I'm not saying that if you've just started a new design business you need to charge as much as the pros, but I'm saying that once you have proof that you can do a better job that your client's requested of you & that you can do just as good, if not better than the other designers he's interested in, your level of expertise has no relevance.

If, however, you are good, but you don't have proof, it doesn't do you much good. ie. I recently got a site ranking in the top 2 positions for it's keywords out of over .5 million results. I know that is not always very impressive, but for the people who want a website with a similar topic, that will impress them greatly.

In my opinion, price should be based on the quality of the job you do, not on the amount of experience you have.

Some beginning designers charge around $15 an hour for web design. Some experts charge about the same. On the other hand, some people charge close to $100 an hour (Don't ask me where they get the work! If I knew, I wouldn't tell!).

Just charge what you feel you are worth and take off what you feel your friendship is worth. Remember that even doing a website for free is not a bad deal if you do a good job and are building up a portfolio.

Rick -----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

mickeyg

When I first enter a project I might use a flat fee such as $25 per HTML page and graphics intensive work such as logo creation (this excludes any web optimization) at $75/hour.

Just a question but do you get much work?

Don't take this the wrong way, this is aimed at anyone who uses this type of pricing structure, not just you.

I don't see how people can justify this type of pricing.

I charge different amounts for the jobs I do but there is nowhere near 300% of a difference between my job pricing.

Either your time is valued at $25 or $75, which is it?

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

The $25 per HTML page is basically for web design.
The $75/hour is for graphics intensive work such as logo creation...ie they want me to create their logos and all the artwork from scratch.

Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back