Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advices for novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theseekers

Technical User
Jul 22, 2004
US
Hi Tekers,

I would like to get some advice from guru in this forum before I try any thing since I am starting to work on SQL servers.

I am try to backup my sql server which has a few databases. As I am reading through the backup information, some suggested that using the backup engine that come with MS SQL and some suggested the SQL Agents.

My question is which way is better??? Can someone please shed some light into this for me so I can understand it a little bit.

As I understand that using the backup in SQL is just a simple dump of data and log file to .BAK. I have not have a chance to use any of those SQL Agent so I would not know and hope that someone in here has already gone through these 2 methods and can give me some tips and pointers.

I am still looking through the posts in the forum to see if I can get something on this....

TIA

Here ae two methods of backups that are commonly used, one is using the SQL Server Miantenance and second using a script and schedule it. In a bigger environment I would reccoend the scripting method becausue its gives too much flexibilty. I am not sure what you are reffeing to SQL agent bakup, when we schdule any jobs it uses SQL Agent to intiate that job.
If you need more clarifications, please post back.

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Bottom line: SQL Server is SQL Server. Other vendor's "Agents for SQL Server" are not SQL Server.

If Microsoft makes an updage to SQL Server, then the SQL Server backup and restore commands will still work.

If Microsoft makes an updage to SQL Server, other vendor's have to test their product to see if it still works with the upgrade. If not, they have to design a fix and make it available. Read the vendor's fine print, some vendor's have 6 months or more to develop a 'fix'. During that time, you can't upgrade your SQL Server or the vendor's product won't work and your backups won't be any good.

I use SQL Server to backup to disk and then use Veritas Backup Exec to COPY the backup file to tape.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks for your advice, I think I got misinformation on the backup engine that come with MS SQL server. Howerver, I think SQLBill & Dr. SQL are in line with most suggestions that I get so far so the solution is:

use SQL Server to backup to .bak file on disk and then use VBE to backup the file(s) to tape.

Thanks again for your info.

Theseekers is still seeking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back