Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjones88

Technical User
Oct 11, 2006
US
I am relitivly new to BE and I am taking over our org's backup proceedures. I am going to try to be as detailed as possible. First we are currently using 10.d, but we should go to 11d next month due to our liscense is about to expire and we can get it now for free. We currently have 35 offsite jobs that consist of backup up a file server and a database server. Most file servers are 2003 and db are 2000. A couple of those have a web sever on the job as well, which is 2000 also. We have those jobs doing weekly fulls on friday and m-t we have diffs. Each site has 4560slx tape libraries with SDLT I tapes. Most sites are around 30 - 80 GB, but we have about 5 that are aproaching a terabyte of data being backed up. We are currently doing off site storage monthly for those sites by doing an additional full monthly backup. Each of those sites have a local BE on the file servers, half of which we can manage via our caso server at the main office.

Now here at the main office we have around 40 jobs that run off of 3 BE servers (one is the caso). We have a 4560slx library for each server (two have 4 libraries with elevators, the other is a single library). Here we have a couple of jobs that are more than a terabyte. We are backing up a total of around 4.5 tb here. We are moving over to synthetic here at the main office with almost half doing synthetic fulls on the weekend and backup to disk incrimental jobs during the week. We have a backup to disk folder on a partition that is over 5Tb. This partition is becoming fragmented often and I believe it is messing up the catalog information (although that is set to be stored on a different partition). Diskkeeper only defrags up to 2Tb partitions. I am not sure that is the problem. Also, they want us to do DAILY off-site storage. Currently we are not doing any. Problem is the jobs span so many tapes, it will be a nightmare. Can anyone spot anything we should be doing differently? I was looking into the Continuous Protection, but I am afraid that it would increase network traffic. We currently do the backups at night. Thanks.

For you disk fragmentation problenm take a look at hotfix 27 for 10d. It built into 11d. But it only truely works of you start from scratch on you backup to disk location by formatting it and then neable the pre-allocation

How do you reable the preallocation? Thanks again Steveot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back