Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advice, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusStringer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
AU
I need a cheap/free solution.

I have an excel file which is sort of acting as a database.

I have some free time on my hands and want to set up a DataBase which includes all of this excel data but have a nice front end form in a web browser.

The machine will be local but can be accessed through network.

Everything I have here is Mac based OSX10.4

I was thinking about a Access (PC) option, but access doesn't come which office Mac version, and not Filemaker either. something which I can learn from as well I suppose...

I downloaded Joomla, but am unsure on how to get it to work?

Any help would be great...

Or if I'm posting in the wrong forum, please let me know

Thanks

Marcus

Personally, I would setup something like this by using MySQL as a back-end and a scripting language (such as PHP/ASP/Coldfusion to name a few) for the front-end. I'd use the scripting language to extract the appropriate data from the database and display it for the browser. I take it that this application would not be published on the web, but would be an internal tool for your company? MySQL and PHP can be installed for free locally or on a web server.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

If you want free, then presumably buying a Windows PC + Access is out of the question. This being the case, you'd need a free solution, so how about install MySQL + PHP, and learn some basic DB PHP scripting. You could be up and running within a week.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Like the other 2 say.

I'll add...

Joomla is a Content Management System for building websites. I don't think it's what you need. It can also be a pain and very restrictive on your site structure.

Install Apache, PHP, MySQL.
Get a book or 2
Read some manuals and do some tutorials
Have go, it's not as hard as you think especially if you have an 'IT mind'
If you get stuck, ask here.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back