Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advice on Mitel 3300mx with 6510 voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterdog98

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2005
US
We have a Mitel 3300mx controller and an IBM server running Windows 2000 acting as our voicemail server. (with the 6510 software installed). It has been working very well for us. My problem is that the controller and server are now 6 years old. I am trying to plan ahead the replace the server before it goes out. I'd love to virtualize it, but it has the USB dongle for licenses....so last I checked, Hyper-V was out.

I work for a school district so we are on a limited budget, but we also realize that we are going to have to do something. Are their companies offering hosted solutions for Mitel systems? Is there an upgrade to the 6510 that would allow virtualization? Any advice would be appreciated.

The 6510 product may be virutalizable since its Windows based. The interface has changed to SIP trunks so you would need to buy SIP trunk licenses for a 3300. Mitel sells a Nupoint voicemail that can be virtualized as can the 3300. However the implementation is only supported in vMWare. If you were to virtualize the 3300 you lose any analgog components so you either have to go to SIP trunking or you still need a physical 3300 for any ISDN or analog trunks or single line sets.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back