Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some advice for reporting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBest

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hi folks,

I could use a recommendation. I'm writing an application in VB.net 2008 that I would like to distribute someday soon. I'm trying to make it as independent as I can so other software pre-requisites don't affect who can use it. For instance, I have some specialized reporting I need to do (akin to a movie ticket) that I have to print in a mail merge type of operation. the output data fields may be vertically oriented or upside down on the page and there will be several 'tickets' per page to print.

I know this can be done programmatically with MS Word, but I would prefer not to restrict potential users to only those who have MS Office. I'm using the Microsoft Report Writer object in VB.Net for some reports in the program, but so far I don't see if having the options and tools I need to do this more exacting, specialized type of printing (unless I'm missing something).

I'm wondering if any of you have some suggestions on what other applications I might be able to use instead that can be accessed programmatically from a VB program. I had hoped I might be able to use the Write app in OpenOffice but my initial examination of that seems like it won't work for what I want to do (no OLE style extensions I could fine to operate it programmatically). I'm now looking into Google Apps to see if there is anything there I can use but I haven't found anything promising yet.

Surely I'm not the first person to run into this. Is there a free or low-cost externally operable reporting option out there with good tools I can use to keep my costs down and make my program available to as wide an audience as possible?

Thanks

Craig

CraigHartz

Why not use the run time engine of Crystal Reports. Your users will not need Crystal to run the report...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back