Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need SMS Remote Control help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

99strat

MIS
Dec 26, 2001
US
I select a PC from a collection. I right-click on the PC then select "All Tasks/Start Remote Tools". The remote window pops up and the status message confirms the remote control agent found. I click the remote control button and the client's desktop pops up. To this point, all is normal, but when I click the key icon nothing happens. I do not get the Windows logon screen.

I have tried:
-Repairing the agent
-Reinstalling the client without rebooting
-Reinstalling the client with rebooting
-Waiting overnight(cause SMS is strange like that sometime)

Nothing helps. Any Ideas??

Thanks,
Fred

What version of SMS are you running and what Service Pack? Are these machines Windows 2000 or NT? Is the &quot;KEY&quot; not working on all the pc's or a select few? I have encountered this problem on a few of my NT and Win2k boxes. Uninstalling and reinstalling the client (more than once) usually takes care of it. And, yes, I have waited overnight also...<G>

Hello, I just started working with SMS server and I'm having almost the same problem as strat. However, after I click &quot;start remote tools&quot; it tries to connect to the remote machine(it's using the correct ip address) then I get the message &quot;Remote Control Agent not found&quot;. I have to click cancel to exit. I'm running the administration snapin on a windows 2000 workstation using the sms sp2 install. The sms server also has sp2. The machines I'm trying to access are windows 2000 and windows 98 machines.

All give the same message. I was trying to avoid installing sms sp3 but I'm not sure that's an option. I can't find any information on modifying the remote sms client install.

Any advice on how I can enable this without sp3? Or if I need to install sp3 are there any pitfalls I should know about before installing? After I do install it, what do I need to do to update the installs on all the client computers?

Thanks for the help.

I seen this problem before when working with remote control and Windows 2000 and NT clients. Without SMS 2.0 SP3 you will have problems controlling an NT mchine with a W2K machine and vise versa, NT to NT and W2K to W2K doesn't seem to be a problem.

Two things with the GOlD Key:

1) I've found with SP1 (for SMS) the gold key had a 50% chance of working after the SMS client was installed properly. Technet suggested rebooting the server/workstation after the SMS was successfully installed. This worked every time in my case. After I rebooted the box, the gold Key worked properly...It sent the Ctl-Alt-Del sequence. So, the first step is to simply reboot the box.

2) If rebooting does not help, following the items in the Technet article:

...hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

olydus..I think your problem is different.

Please verify that your client machine is installed correctly. It sounds like the Remote Control COMPONENT is not installed on any of your clients. You need to set the RC component up on the Site Server before the clients will be remote controllable.

Also to roll out SMS SP3 on the clients, you simply install SMS SP3 on your site server and the clients will automatically get the update from the site server. You can see that they get the SP3 update when looking at the Components on the client machines (it will say versions 3.0.43.2.1 or somehting like this..) Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back