Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need shutdown msg from WinXP on AT style machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmcb

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have installed WinXP on an older machine. It works perfectly with the one following problem.

The hardware is AT style ASUS P5A-B 266 mhz with bios rev 1011 beta 005.

Everything shuts down normally except it never displays the message IT IS SAFE TO TURN OFF THE POWER. Disk activity has stopped and I believe it has come to the point where a newer machine would power off.

Is there an option or patch to Win XP that will cause it to display the good old message like it did when Win 98 SE was running on this motherboard?

Thanks
Bob

I would think once the screen goes blank its ok to turn it off.

Why did you upgrade anyway? I can't imagine it being anywhere in the neighborhood of speed you had with windows 98.

I had the same problem. It turned out that the Hardware Abstration Layer (HAL) was incorrect.

Look in Device Manager, expand the Computer branch. If your computer is identified as Standard PC this could be the problem. If your computer is ACPI compliant you can force the HAL during Windows installation.

See:"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" error message when you try to shut down your computer.

And:How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an Upgrade or Installation of Windows

My reason for going from Win 98 SE to Win XP was primarily for ease of adding devices. Speed was not really the issue for this machine.

The Screen does not go blank. It stays with the blue screen with the msg "Windows is shutting down". Disk activity goes on for a period of time but eventually stops and the mouse eventually will no longer respond. At this point, I can turn off power with out a problem. The issue is that the machine is used by others not as technical and they don't understand what is going on and tend to shut power off to soon.

I will follow up on the suggestions from Bourbaki and let you know.

Thanks,
Bob

Tell the others to wait until the hard drive light goes off before turning off (until you get it fixed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back