Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need server spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagg

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
IE
Hi, I need some help with a specification for a server for my business. I'm not the most technically minded. I'll outline our system demands and take it from there. Basically we are a small company with 8 employess in the office. Currently we have four networked PCs with as many laptops plugging into our switch, dsl, msde database application, our e-mail is hosted off site along with our website. Ideally we need a central storage point for our inceasing files, backup facility. Obviously at this stage our needs arent that huge. still we'd like to have a basis for future compatability.
What would you suggest?

Are you looking to be setup as a domain or a workgroup? How is the data currently being accessed? Do you think you want to use exchange for internal emails?

Looking to setup a domain, is it possible in this instatnce of file server setup that we can have floating profiles. At the moment we use peer to peer networking. Have a shared folder with files that are accessed by all. Need to limit access to certain areas and maybe monitor internet usage. Exchange for internal e-mails would be good, not a major necessity now but probably better to build for it now, shared calender would be priceless to us too.

I would choose Small Business Server. A real bargain at $500 w/5-Cals. If you want to monitor net, then you'll also need ISA server, which means you'll need the Premium Edition, which is a lot more $$$- more like $1,300. Either version comes with Exchange server, which you'll need to set up for calendaring and e-mail. You can still utilize your POP3 mail by setting up Exchange POP connector to retrieve user mail, and utilize your Exch Srv for storage and distribution of the mail.

Roaming profiles in a 5-user office??? Oh well. Roaing profiles are a PITA as far as I'm concerned. Bloats storage requirements; slows logons. But if you need'em, you need'em.

Thanks for your comments, great benefit to know that existing pop 3 can be used with exchange. In terms of processors ,hard drives, raid, memory etc, what would you advise for our needs.
Not a fan of profiles myself but the business we're in means a user isn't assigned to a pc. They roam from zone to zone and may wish to use the terminal at that particular zone to access information stored on their profile.

Yep- the POP connector is a good thing, if you're a small office that doesn't want to host your own mail. You set up a profile for each mailbox you need to check, setting time check intervals, etc., and point that profile to the corresponding Exchange user mailbox. The server goes out at the set intervals and checks for messages, and if there are any, sends them into the user's mailbox. Provides centralized storage of the user's mail within the Exchange store, so it is available at any PC the user wishes to log onto.

As far as Roaming profiles, do they really need access to all their user "baggage" (favorites, cookies, desktop settings, etc.) or just their Home directory (my documnets). You can redirect home directory much less painfully. You'll need to spend some time "tweaking" their profiles if you use RP's, to prevent bloat. Reduce temp internet files to a minimum; limit my docs folder sizes; etc. If you don't, before you know it they'll have 10gb of garbage in their profile that they need to sync up everytim they log on. Think long and hard about this requirement.

As far as what to buy, it all depends on your likelyhood of growth and expansion. How much data? Any server based apps need to run? Any more users or office growth in the future? These all determine how much of a server you need. If you're running Exchange, I would only recommend SCSI drives, and for redundancy with RAID. Exch is disk intensive, and any implementation I've ever seen on any form of IDE disk or SATA is pathetic.

There is no need for any favourites,cookies etc to follow. Just as you say, all we wish to travel with them is their My Documents information.

At the moment storing about 2 GB a month, there are no server based apps at the moment but in the not too distant future we hope toput in place a CRM package for Call Tracking, Employee Scheduling, Contract Management etc which I'm sure will be harsh on resources. There will definatly be more users within the year and a possible office move based on addition of staff so we'll be hoping to use server in new site.

2 GB of NEW data Per month?? That'll add up pretty quick. I like Dell, but HP/Compaq are great servers too. Read the PE2800 thread next to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back