Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Running Total to be initialized to zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjmoffitt

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
I am creating an expanded Income Statement that totals accounts by different criteria. For example, I am breaking out the selling and admin expenses by department for more detail. The purpose is to show where the expenses are coming from - warehousing, manufacturing, marketing, finance, etc.

I am using running totals to accumulate the expense for each department and to evaluate the records I'm using formulas. One department that is being accumulated, currently does not have any data associated with it. Therefore, it doesn't print anything on the report since the running total is a null valve. (It's null because no data is being selected and therefore not being added to the total.) This causes a problem later when I am totaling all the departments expenses to get the total selling and administrative expenses. Since one department is null, the total selling and administrative total is null also.

Does anyone know of any way to initialize a running total "variable" to zero???

Holly [sig][/sig]

You can use a formula instead of a field as the basis of your running total:

If isNull({field}) then 0 else {field}

Or you can use the Report Option Checkmark:

&quot;Convert Null Field to Default&quot; which eliminates Null Values from the Report. Make sure that you don't need Null's somewhere else before you use the latter technique. [sig]<p>Ken Hamady- href= Reports Training by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back