Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need recommendations on how to deploy reports to users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sielah

Programmer
Oct 9, 2007
CA
We are about to begin development work on a new web-based reporting application. The app will be developed in Visual Studio 2005 C# .NET.

We deployed a similar web-based application last year. The reports for this app were developed in the standalone version of Crystal 10 Developer. We use a Crystal Viewer tool on the IIS web server to display the report results back to the user. Unfortunately, configuring this viewer to get it to work properly was a monumental pain in the ass.

So I'm really looking for some advice or input from those who have been there on how best to execute reports and display the results back to the user over a web connection. Does Crystal 2008 have anything built in that makes this process easier?

Another team here has just moved to Reporting Services, so there is pressure on us to follow their lead. We would prefer to stick with Crystal for various reasons, but not if it means going through the problems with the Viewer all over again.

Thoughts? Comments?

If you are talking about a small set of concurrent users (<10), then I would use Crystal Reports Server or two. Otherwise, if it's a large userset, then Business Objects Enterprise. I have over 600 users with 50 to 75 logged in at any one time as concurrent users, including external users.

Our application has about 100 users at the moment. We could reasonably expect all 100 to be logged in at the same time.

Thanks for the advice about Business Objects Enterprise. Do you know roughly how much this costs? How easy is it to deal with?

If you're end users just look at/print reports, I would recommend exporting the reports to pdf.
Code:
ReportDocument.ExportToStream(DocumentType.PortableDocumentFormat);
if they are using the advanced features of crystal report this wouldn't be a good option.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back