Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Recommendations for Modems/Strings for ASA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOJIM

Technical User
Oct 17, 2006
US
I have a few Definity G3si to administer remotely and have had some issues connecting reliably and with a reasonable speed. I am using USR Sportster 56K Fax Modems and use the default 9600 baud settings. In ASA I choose the sportster setting. I have ASA R1.9.06
Sometimes I connect and sometimes not and dog slow when I do. Any suggestions on speeding up or tweaking settings (init strings- what the definity likes), getting specific modems etc. would be helpful. Thanks!

I've had very good success with a US Robotics V.92 modem. I have a large collection of both dail-up and IP connected systems.

Kevin

I have found the older models work better (USR). I have used 33.6 and had less frustration than my 56k. My laptop modem would never work, One time I did had the modem set at 28.8 and saw the login screen. Never was able to login. IP is the way to go.

Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue. Which are you?

I am starting to have better luck logging in. There were thunderstorms when I started tweaking things last night and there were garbage characters. I switched my analog dial out line to my Vonage line and things were just about excellent - using the basic analog modem line choice in ASA. My modem is at V.90 56K USR and seems solid enough now, but this is a good thread and am curious to see what others are using. This vonage thing can work since most dial ins are not 800 lines and its a flat fee outcall. I had initially thought going through an VoIP service would not work well with modems, well i think I am correcting myself here.

Find Your modem's windows driver.
It will be a *.INF file.
Open this file with notepad.
It should look like below:
Code:
;Windows 2000/XP WDM Modem Setup File
;Copyright (c) 2004-2006 Motorola Inc
;Manufacturer: Motorola Inc

[Version]
Signature      = "$Windows NT$"
Class          = Modem

Search for "init" or "init2" string

Init - should be only - "AT<cr>" string
Init2 - should be longer, for example - "AT&F&D2&C1V1S0=0E0<cr>"

Paste this string in ASA Tools/Devices/Add.

Your modem should work propertly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back