Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need query to return "top 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyG

Programmer
Dec 30, 2001
US
I need a query that will return only 5 records containing the highest value in a field.

Specifically I need to query the EventLog with WMI and get the 5 most recent events. Normally this would be very easy, but WQL does not support ORDER BY. So basically it returns an un-ordered collection.

To avoid doing a large set of compares to find the most recent events in the collection, there MUST be a way to do a SQL query like this. No?

I think you are mistaking "WQL" for "Microsoft SQL Server"..

Microsoft SQL Server (and most real realational databases that support ODBC level 2 commands) will support order by.

MSDE (sql server for 5 worker threads) will do everything you want and it is FREE!

hi,

select TOP 5 * from [table_name]
order by [field_name] Desc

is a standard way to SQL server. And it will work with all versions of sql server / oracle.

bye
miq

Hmmm I dont think i was clear in my question. I actually DO mean WQL. WQL is a subset of SQL, and it's used in WMI programming. Unfortunately it doesnt support ORDER BY.

So if i have this Dataset:
Name Score
John 8
Tim 10
Jen 30
Joe 5
Tina 22
Eric 2
James 8

I want a query that will return:
Jen
Tina
Tim
John
James

...because those records have the 5 highest values in the Score field.

Thanks for the "TOP" command, i never knew about that, good to know....but the table I'm querying is not in the order of the feild i want to select from.

If WQL doesn't support ORDER BY, and has no equivalent method of returning an ordered resultset, then I guess you are going to have to do some fiddly coding in your app to get the results you need.

As this is a SQL Server forum, any advice given will obviously be based on the flavour of SQL it uses, namely T-SQL (which explains the slight confusion). You may be better off trying a forum/site which is more geared towards WMI/WQL to get better help with this problem.

--James

JeremyG, try the Microsoft: Active Server Pages (ASP) forum, it has helped me for most of my WMI problems.

jimmY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back