Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need ORACLE SQL expression ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomSalvato

Technical User
Mar 24, 2010
US
Hi All,

I am writing an SQL Expressin Field that has to compare two datetime fields, but I'm only concerned about the date portion of each field. In crystal format, my expression would look like this ...

date(TABLE1.DATECREATED) = date(TABLE2.DATECREATED)

where both fields are defined as datetime fields. I know that the 'time' portion will never match. I'm hoping it's something simple that I've just never seen before.

As always, appreciate any help!

-TS

Oops, I think I'm conflating Access with Oracle.

Didn't your posted expression work?

Thanks, Skip ... but Oracle doesn't seem to like that Integer function.

I think I may have found what I needed ...

I'm using the following ...

to_date(TABLE1.DATECREATED) = to_date(TABLE2.DATECREATED)

Doing some testing now, and that looks like it works. Can anyone tell me if they see some intrinsically wrong with that statement? Is the 'to_date' function doing something more than just looking at the date portion only of those fields? Again, it looks like it works. Still testing, though.

Again, appreciate the help!

-TS

Check that ... the to_date function does NOT work. Any other ideas?

try

to_char(TABLE1.DATECREATED,'yyyymmdd') = to_char(TABLE2.DATECREATED, 'yyyymmdd')

Still doing some testing to confirm, but at first glance, the to_char solution seems to be EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thanx, Skip! You're a real pro!

-TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back