Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need opinion on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

no25

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
PH
Is the Inno3d tornado Geforce4 4200Ti 128MB8 8X good? What do you guys know about it?

A very powerful and capable graphics card available at a bargain price.
Just be aware that it does not support the extra features of DirectX9.
This isn't as big a deal as people make out, it just means that with the next generation of games releases you will be missing out on some subtle "EYE CANDY", it will still play the games but certain detail will be missing.
In terms of raw power though, the GF4 4200Ti takes some beating, and has some impressive frame rates that are enough to embaress much newer and more expensive cards like the FX5600 and ATI9600 Radeon.
My argument for the 4200Ti against the lower end DX9 compatible cards, FX5600/9600ATI would be: game play looks much better at 35fps on a 4200Ti than it does at 20fps on an FX5600 even if it's individual frames look better, thats no good if you havn't gone smooth game play.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Right with you there, paparazi, it's the minimal framerate that counts, not the fancy DX9 extensions.
That said, I'd skip on the 8X part. AGP 4X was a tremendous benefit over AGP 2X, which was quite a boost over regular AGP, but AGP 8X is but a name and brings no perceptible additional performance for the moment. The new standard that is coming is PCI Express, and that will blow any AGP out of the water. PCI Express is for this year, so I'd forget AGP 8X, it will go nowhere in time to be useful.
You might be more interested in getting a 4X TI4400, which is more powerful than the 4200 and just might be less expensive since it does not have the useless 8X moniker which is more marketing than anything else.

Pascal.

Hmmm... makes sense on the 4X-8X argument. The only problem is I'm having a hard time finding a good non-8X Geforce 4 Ti card as the market now is mostly dominated by those FX cards. To make things short, I bought the Inno3d card I was talking about. I'm not planning on making a major upgrade of my pc for at least another year, so I'm happy with it right now. And does it deliver! Really, bang for your buck. Makes my PIII system feel like brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back