Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Office 97 Developer Edition (ODE) CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpittawa

Programmer
Oct 2, 2002
US
I need to buy Office 97 Developer Edition AKA Office Developer Edition (ODE).

This is not be confused with the Office 97 Professional.

I need to use it's Package and Deployment Add-in to rebuild the MDE for a mission-critical application.

The package and deployemnt wizard has nothing to do with .mde files.

.mde files can be created by anyone with a full retail copy of Access. The developer tools are required to create a run-time edition of Access and also contain the license to distribute the run-time.

If you already have a deployed Access application then all you need to reissue is the mdb or mde file on its own.

lupins46 (MIS)

>If you already have a deployed Access application then all you need to reissue is the mdb or mde file on its own.

The error I'm is reference unavailable...

Background:
The Access application was written by a now defunct consulting firm and is distributed from a central server. I compile a fresh MDE, put it on the server, and e-mail the users. They run an application update program copies the MDE and some other support files like Word doc's to their machines.

Problem:
On the last iteration, something went wrong with references. I downloaded the MDB onto three user machines, opened a BAS module, and looked at Tools/References. The missing reference was to MS Word. It was looking for MS Word 9, which is MS Word 2000. The users have Office 97; I have Office 2000 and will be moving 2003 soon. My source code was set to MSWord 8.

When I rebuilt the MDE on a machine that only has Office 97, the problem remained.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base article has two solutions. One is for MDB's that other for MDE's. For MDE's they said to recreate the distribution package.

My employer does not have the Developer Edition, and until now, has not needed it.

Hmm, use late binding? Whenever you create an object of type Word.Application, instead just make it of type "Object". Then whenever you use Word-specific constants, figure out their integer equivalents and use those instead. Then uncheck the "Word 9" reference, or whichever reference you're using. Then deploy.

I've done this myself. I'm running Access 97/Office 2000, and my users are running the full Office 97 suite, so this was an issue. I'm not running the ODE though, so maybe your issues are ... different from my issues.

newsgroup threads about this:

Office 97 Developer editions are not for sale, anywhere. You can check Ebay or something if you're desperate, but some Access developers still want this version more than others because of the small deployment size. So expect to pay more for the old version than for a 2003 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back