Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Multiple Masters in Replication set

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchSchweitzer

Programmer
May 10, 2002
US
There are two of us that are designing on the same database.

We have the main master on the network and we each have a laptop that we want to be able to work on the database and then syncronize back to the main master. The replica that we now have on the laptops will not allow changes to the forms.

Thanks for any suggestions

There can be only one design master in a replica set otherwise the set will not synchronize properly.

To make changes on your laptop you will need to promote your replica to design master by choosing Replication from the Tools menu and then select Recover Design Master. This will allow you to make design changes that you can synchronize back to the original master on your network. After that you can use the same process to promote the original back to Design Master.

The other person can do the same on their laptop to make changes. Unfortunately, you will not be able to make changes at the same time. Each will have to synchronize their changes to the original master and promote it to design master before the other can synch from the original to their replica and promote it.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. [Hammer]
dryc

I have been using the Breifcase to help with the tracking. But still only one at a time can work on the database.

The Access help talks about managing the Design Masters and they always have an "s" on Master, which would make one think that their can be more than one, they also talk about assigning priority levels. This may all be in the Replication Manager which I do not have. Do you have or have you seen the Replication Manager and does it really help?

Thanks
Butch

I have been working with Replication Manager to manage a replica set for about two years now. It is useful for scheduling synchronizations and gives you a graphical view of the replica set. I use it to manage the replica set for the backend databases. I don't think it would be very helpful for frontend programming.

See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 282977 at for info on replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back