Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Multi-user database

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRowland

Programmer
May 23, 2001
US
I need to create a database that can be accessed my multiple users at the same time. Sounds just like a website to me.
Here's the problem, I have XP home in my pc, and can not get even a simple asp results form to give results. I get the page with the headings, but no data.
Also, when I try to add new info with the entry page, it seems to work, but can not see the results when I open the database with access programming.
I've been using the database wizard on FP. I know I have something simple set wrong, but am at a loss.
I have designed a lot of websites with databases, with no trouble, but this one seems to be haunted!! It just won't work.
Any help will be appreciated.

Dick

|========================|
I sure wish there was a way
to receive the best teaching, [smarty]
without having to go through
some of the worst experiences![ponder]

I forgot to put in the posting that I get an error on first attempt to run that says the page has to be either saved or published to work. I did save it, on my XP home machine.

Dick

Did you publish the site?

Does this work?
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>ASP Check</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>Asp Server time is - 
<b><%= Time %></b>
</body>
</html>
If it does then your server supports ASP otherwise it doesn't

1) Does your server support database stuff.
2) Do you need to set up a DSN?
3) Can you run with a DSN-less connection?

XP Home does not come with a web server the same way that XP Professional does. Microsoft use to have a KB Article (Q310090) that talked about a workaround, but if you try and access it now it shows "The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available"... however if Google Q310090 you should find what you need, so all is not lost!

xwb. thanks for test.
I saved it on my pc, and it did not work, which is strange, because a couple of years ago, I designed some websites that had asp pages and they worked fine. That's why I am so frustrated about this.
I have XP home, and have not made any changes, that I can remember, since doing the pages.
So what do I have to do to make asp work on my machine?

Dick

By the way, everyone, when I try to view the finished page, I save it, then press the page to view, and I get the message that says the page must be either saved, or published, to view correctly.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back