Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need more space on c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

russeder

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
FR
My exchange server is setup with a fat partition on c: (2GB) with only (161MB) free, is it wise to use a program like partition magic or something like it to extend it ??? is it better to leave it as FAT rather than NTFS ??

Thanks

My exchange is installed on e: not c:

I'd definitely extend it (or move the stores to another partition), and definitely use NTFS.

You can use the Optimizer option from the start menu to move the files automatically to another drive

Another option could be to get a bigger hard drive, create bigger partitions on the hard drive and than ghost it. With a ghost software. That has work well for us. The only thing is that this procedure will leave your partition as FAT.

Hope this helps.

Rocket

I have a similar issue to this one, I have 2 partitions on the Exchange drive:

C:\ 2.38Gb
D:\ 4.77Gb 800Mb Free
E:\ 4.77Gb 4.0Gb Free

With running Exchange 5.5, could I use Partition Magic to steal some of the free space from E:\ and allocate it to D:\?? Would there be any problems that would effect Exchange if I did this?

Or like rocketlauncher is saying, put a larger 40Gb hard drive in it, create 2 partitions one 30Gb for D:\ where Exchange resides and one 10Gb for E:\, then ghost partition D:\ from old hard drive to new partition D:\ on the new drive? And do the same for partition E:\.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or steps you have done in the past with a similar issue.

Thanks!!!

Take the bigger (and faster) harddisk route, you will not regret it later!
But forget Ghost. Instead, install a decent backup application for Exchange, which will allow you to restore just what you need.
Ghost is nice, but if you ever have to put it back, you will be stepping back in time to the ghost image for the entire backup. You will thus probably loose a days or more work and emails.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

BUT.. will the Ghost option work?? The system gets backed up nightly and restoring from tape would mean a longer downtime.

What do you mean by "if you ever have to put it back"?

Thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by "if you ever have to put it back"?

Huh .. if you ever need to put back (restore) the Ghost image...you will overwrite everything since the last backup.
Unless you want to fiddle around with Ghost Explorer ...

Will it work? Yes, if you accept the above consequences.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

See all I want to do is use Ghost to increase the partitions, not for any backup purposes. What I was going to do is bring the down, install the larger hard drive that has 2 partitions already on it and Ghost the Exchange partitions from the smaller hard drive to the larger one. The pull the small hard drive out and boot the server. Now giving Exchange partition D:\ much more space.

If it blows up I can put the small hard drive back in until I figure something else out??

bash,

Ghost should work fine if your only trying to upgrade you HD. I use Ghost 6.0 I do it all the time and have not had any problems yet.

I had the following settings on my exchange 5.5:

C:\ 2GB Upgraded to 4GB (System Partition)

D:\ 20 GB Upgtraded to 40GB (Exchange DB)

But remember before doing anything make sure you have a good backup, just in case. ;)

Rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back