Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need MAJOR help -- read txt files and writing to a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirleegirl

Programmer
Jun 24, 2003
US
Okay, I am very new at this and I need major help!! (And fast, too =-) I don't even know where to begin.....

There is a folder on our server that has multiple subfolders. Each subfolder can contain multiple txt files. I need to be able to read each text file (for specific information -- I don't need all of the information in the file) in each folder and then write all of that information to a database so I can query it for certain information and generate a report.

I don't even know where or how to begin. I figured I could set the program to run at midnight and I know one issue I have to deal with is not reading files that haven't changed.

Does anyone have anything that could help me? Like I said, I don't even know where to begin. I have the option to use MS Access with VB or use VB with a SQL Server. I can also use ASP.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Sounds almost like school "fun" stuff...

check out they have good examples/tutorials on how to use the file system object to read files/directories using asp (vbscript) and also how to connect to a database using asp.

Good direction giving, hecktic.
There are several more.
See zemp's directions under thread222-561442

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back