Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need longer description on Sales Order line items 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
US
Dynamics GP Sales Order line item descriptions are limited to about 100 characters, but we need to enter several sentences... maybe even a small paragraph, for each line item.

We're familiar with using the Item Notes field, but that's not really what we need since the description will change with virtually every line item on every invoice.

Does anyone know of an add-on that provides for this Additional Description capability?

We would need it to print on invoices, as well.

by hitting the expansion button on the sales order detail line, there is a notes field associated with the actual sales line that you can freeform enter text into. I do believe that by default this even prints on the stock sales order form but you may have to play with the formatting and allow to grow if you're entering tonnes of text.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Thanks, jazgeek...

Here's the problem with that scenario (but please correct me if I'm wrong)...

You can use that Notes field only if you choose to enter a line item that is based on an actual Inventory line item... and when you enter the Notes description, and attach it to the line item, the contents of the notes field are attached to that Inventory Item Number... so that when a user pulls up that Inventory Item Number for another invoice, those old notes are still there.

Of course, I suppose we could delete the contents of the Notes field, and re-enter whatever is appropriate for this invoice, but I don't see how, when printing, each individual set of notes would print. Rather, the last-entered description would print for every line item/invoice that used that Inventory Item.

This all seems a bit cumbersome, when our real usage of Sales Order involves selling non-inventoried items to start with... items that we would need to enter a unique description for every time.

Thanks for your input, but I don't think we've found a workable solution yet for this seemingly obvious and common requirement.

Any other ideas?

no no, not that notes field.

Perhaps I should correct my choice of words. I should have said sales order line details comment.

on the sales order detail area, click the expansion button (in v10 it is the arrow next to the item note) to get to the sales order line details screen.

On this screen is a field called comment ID. if you hit the arrow button next to that it will open up a Sales Comment Entry screen where you can freeform put any text you like into. Do not use the note button as this then issues the note against all comment ID's.

capturewz6.th.jpg

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Do it, jazggek.

So obvious, yet I missed it, and I've got more than one "expert" out there trying to figure it out. Everybody was getting hung up on the Notes field... or editing an existing Comment ID, but not leaving the Comment ID blank, and just editing the text.

That'll work. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back