Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need installation disketts for win95.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfixall

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
I received an older computer with win95 installed.after installing a modem i tried to install Dial up networking and was asked to supply the installation disketts.Is there a download site fpr these files?I have looked high and low to no avail.

Question has been asked before and nobody responded except comments about software piracy.
You might try e-bay. I've seen them there regularly. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I often find that the files it is looking for are actually already on your hard disk - when it asks for the disk, it is often possible to specify the location as c:\windows\system, or c:\windows. (try both, and if not search the hard disk - the file might be stashed away somewhere else).

Even if components are already installed, it ALWAYS asks for the files again. If the computer has ever had a modem, I'd bet a large beer they're already there!

I assume from your post you are referring to Win 95 on 3 1/2 Floppy disks. Copies of Win 95 are not all the same. I have seen some copies with 23 floppies, others with more or less than that number. Consequently if your PC asks for disk #9, for example, it may or may not be the correct number for a copy of Win 95 you may have . Only the origional install would work for certain. Consequently, you might need to do a full install. If the installer of the origional OS bypassed the setup for a connection, those files necessary may not have been loaded onto the PC.

Yeah, keep in mind there are different versions of win95. OSR1, OSR2, stuff like that. Just be sure if you do get the disks, they're the right version. Good luck!

Have fun, stay young, peel your eyes off the monitor!!
s-) clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back