Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Informatiion regarding Data Ware housing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallareddy8

Programmer
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hello Friends,

Please, I need some information about star schemas? i read the book data warehouse tool kit, i know what is star shema, what is fact & Dimension tables. what i need is
1. In RT(Real Time) how can we anlyze the data to create star schema.
2. In RT max. of howmany star schemas we can create in one DB.
3. In RT how big is each star schema?(means howmany fact tables? and howmany surrogate keys we can use?)
4. in RT shall we design more than one fact table in each star schema?
5. in RT shall we create seperate DB for each star shema?

thank you.

Hello mallareddy8,

You posted the exact same thread in the datawarehouse forum, where it really belongs. Your questions are generic, but COULD apply to the use of informatica tools. If you want more information how to use these tools for setting up a datawarehouse, detail them down to that level....... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

mallareddy8,

Your question is similar to "how long is a piece of string".

> 1. In RT(Real Time) how can we anlyze the data to create star schema.
How much data, how many fields, how frequent is the refresh rate for the fields?

> 2. In RT max. of howmany star schemas we can create in one DB.
An access database or Oracle? How much data is in each star schema? NT / UNIX........

> 3. In RT how big is each star schema?(means howmany fact tables? and howmany surrogate keys we can use?)
What does your business look like? Is this a corner shop or a large multi-national? How many business functions will be using the star schema?

> 4. in RT shall we design more than one fact table in each star schema?
By my understanding of Kimble - NO

> 5. in RT shall we create seperate DB for each star shema?
see above

Regards

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back