Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with WinFax PLEASE & THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabez1771

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
First of all, I'm not sure that I've posted this is the correct place. If I haven't I would appreciate it if someone could move it to the correct spot.

OK. Here is my situation. Currently I have a regular phone line with distinctive ring. The distinctive ring allows me to have a “separate” phone number for my fax. I send and receive an estimated 10-20 pages per month.

I am trying to cut back on expenses so I’ve been looking at my options. I found WinFax and purchased that software. It is installed and working but I don’t believe that the modem that in installed in the computer will “detect” the difference between data and voice. If it would then I could get rid of one of my phone numbers. The modem that came with the computer is “BCM V.92 56K Voicemodem”. It is attached to COM3.

I also have a Westell DSL modem that is in use for my internet DSL and I have a D-Link Router (“DI-634M High Speed 2.4GHz Wireless Router – Air Plus Xtreme G”) that is used to connect the computers and the TIVO server in the house.

My question is this, do I need to buy another modem that can tell the difference between voice and data and if so, which one do you recommend?

I don’t want to sign up for any of those pay-as-you-go internet fax options which is why I purchased the WinFax software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jabez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back