Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with web site? Do it myself or pay somebody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hello tek tipers and many thanks for looking at my thread. I apologies if i am not supposed to ask this type of question in this forum but i have searched for ages and this is the only place i feel i can ask this. Anyway i wish to start my own web site after about 5 years trading on ebay. I sell new computers ranging from cheaper end units to middle of the road gamers. Anyway i have worked out i Am paying ebay some £4000 per year in fee,s and there ever increasing charges coupled with the major hassle of some bidders, i have decided to leave ebay and get my own web site. Now i am a total novice at all things web site. My question is this...Sould i get one of the many "design your own" site programs and do the job myself or should i invest some cash and get it done for me. If its the latter i would still need access to be able to change things like pictures and description of computers when i add or remove the units. Any advise really appreciated.

If you want a proper site that will stand any chance with the search engines then get a professional to do it for you. Any good pro can provide a site that you can do your own updating on. In the end it is likely to be much more cost effective to get a proper site than to try and learn a whole new set of skills for just one website, or get a cobbled up job from a template.

Although none of us advertise in the posts, have a look through forum215 and forum253. Most of the MVPs in those forums will have a link in their signatures to some sample sites.

Although website design is an international business, you may be more comfortable working with someone from the same country as you, especially as there may be localisation issues regarding business practices.

Steam Engine Prints

2 schools of thought:
1. A pro can design a great system that will get you noticed and allow you easy access to add pictures, pricing and content. This new site, with proper design criteria and shopping cart you specify, can be up and running in no time flat.
2. ahhhhh

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back