Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with WDS setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasoon

Programmer
Nov 15, 2002
IN
Hi,

Having a few problem's with setting up a simple WDS setup. I have got two Beetel 450TC1 routers (These routers are ADSL2+ Modem Routers with 4 LAN ports, 1 RJ-11 connector for WAN connection and Wi-Fi). These routers are provided by the ISP, however they are refusing any configuration help regarding WDS, instead they insist to connect both the routers through Cat5 LAN cable. Running a LAN cable is not a good solution in my case as I cannot run a LAN cable across 4 rooms. Hence I tried to configure WDS off my own to have Wi-Fi coverage throughout my home.

The Scenario:

At one end (front of my house) I have a wired connection from carrier (RJ11 connector connected to Router 1). At the other side (back of the house) I just have another router (Router 2) which should work as a Wireless AP.

I am trying to bridge the two routers so that I can have seamless wireless access throughout my home.

Settings:

Router 1 AP( front of the house):

PPPOE connection configured to connect to ISP
LAN IP (Static): 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Default( provided by the carrier)
DHCP: Enabled
DHCP starting IP: 192.168.1.2
DHCP ending IP: 192.168.1.254
MAC-address filtering: disabled

SSID: SEN
Wireless Channel (fixed): 11
802.11 mode: 802.11b+g
Channel width: auto (20/40mhz)
Visibility: visible

Security: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: Auto
Group Key Update Interval: 3600 seconds
Pre-Shared key: (this is set and same at both AP)

WDS: ON
Mac address of Router 2 provided.
WDS authentication method: TKIP
WDS authentication key: Same on both routers

Router 2 AP (Back of the house):

PPPOE not configured on this router.
LAN IP (Static): 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: set to Relay
DHCP relay server: 192.168.1.1
MAC- address filtering: Disabled

SSID: SEN
Wireless Channel (fixed): 11
802.11 mode: 802.11b+g
Channel width: auto (20/40mhz)
Visibility: Visible

Security: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: Auto
Group Key Update Interval: 3600 seconds
Pre-Shared key: (this is set and same at both AP)

WDS: ON
Mac address of Router 1 provided.
WDS authentication method: TKIP
WDS authentication key: Same on both routers

----------------------------------------------------------

Since WDS is activated on both routers and each router has the MAC-address of the other, this should allow them to act as a bridge.

But still both AP’s are unable to ping each other. I can access internet through AP1 though as it is directly connected to ISP. But there is no internet access on AP2.

From the above provided information, I hope someone can see what I am missing.
Any help will be appreciated.

Probably not possible, as Beetel 450TC1 routers have only one Antenna, for wireless bridging you need at least 2. One to receive the signal, and the other to repeat the signal back out. Most routers are capable of wired bridging. That is they can be connected physically to each other through a cable. However very few actually support wireless bridging.

Something like this:
or this:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

hmm. didnt know that i need two antennas for a WDS setup. because the firmware on Beetel does provide option for WDS but it always comes with single antenna.

I can't find anything that states the Beetel 450TC1 antennae is bidirectional. Which is probably the reason the routers can't talk to each other. If there's a single antennae it must be bi-directional (receive/transmit). Which is even rarer, in regular routers.

Also everything I can find says Beetel 450TC1 does not support WDS.
Example:

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

okay i understand what you are saying about the bidirectional antennas.
Also i did came across the same post, which is partially true given the date of the post.
Beetle 450tc1 with original firmware(TM4-0Q-008) did not had WDS option. however with the firmware update (TM4-0Q-016 onwards) there is WDS option available on Beetel 450tc1.

If there's a single antennae it must be bi-directional (receive/transmit).
This doesn't make sense to me. Every router with one antenna has to both receive and transmit or else you could do much when connected.

It receives the connection packets, not the wireless signal from another device to then be able to connect to it and repeat the signal back out. That is the router does not send any connection packets back out. Assuming of course the hardware supports the WDS.

If all were bidirectional then we would not be having this discussion, as all routers would be able to bridge.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back