Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with WAN failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

pie8ter

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
US
We have PRO4060 with 3.x.x.x enhanced OS. I have two ISPs with two different public IP blocks. I want to loadbalance between the two ISPs for outbound traffic. This is what I did.

X0: Local LAN
X1: Default WAN ISP1
X2: Second WAN ISP2 (assigned this interface to WAN zone)

1) Create a NAT policy to allow all LANs to go out using X2 (according to the documentation)
2) Enabled WAN Failover & LB (I didn't see the X2 interface in the statistics section in the WAN failover & LB area. Only saw X1))
3) Selected the default Active/passive and checked "go back to ISP1 when ISP1 comes back from failure)
4) Pulled the X1 cable.

No failover!!! The X1 failover statistics says X1 failed. I left the default value for Check Interface every, Deactivate Interface after and Reactivate Interface after.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

If you don't see the X2 interface in your Failover / LB screen then that is the problem.

Looking at my setup (Pro 2040 with two ISPs and two IP Blocks) I see my X1 and X2 are both configured as WAN zone.

In my failover / LB tab i see them both there. Maybe try to delete the X2 Wan Zone and starting from scratch. Also try disabling the NAt policies forcing traffic over X2 for now, try to get it working before doing that.

What type of WAN connections do you have?

With my setup I am using the spillover method as I have Fiber internet for my X1 and a crappy business cable modem as a X2. Since cable modems aren't synchronis business-class connections i don't want traffic using that unless the fiber connection is "full" or if for somereason the fiber goes down. So the spill over is set to anything over 2048 (I have a 2MB fiber connection).

Let me know how you make out.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back