Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with VOIP Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDEG

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
US
I am college sudent doing an internship with my local School District. They are adding a new building in one of the schools and we are looking into IP Telephony. I know very little about VOIP and I have been trying to educate myself. I have looked at some of the vendors websites. I would like to ask if anyone knows where I can get a good resource either a text book or online material.
I appreciate any responses.
Thanks.

Why does your high shcool want to use VOIP?

VOIP is used so that you get one bill from the phone company. You still need to have a phone line somewhere for local service. The advantage of VOIP is when you have locations located large distances apart and you want to save on long distance and phone lines to connect the different offices. But you must remember that for outside people calling in or if you want out to the world you still have to get the telphone company to plug you in to the voice network.

Andy.

Why does your high shcool want to use VOIP?

VOIP is used so that you get one bill from the phone company. You still need to have a phone line somewhere for local service. The advantage of VOIP is when you have locations located large distances apart and you want to save on long distance and phone lines to connect the different offices. But you must remember that for outside people calling in or if you want out to the world you still have to get the telphone company to plug you in to the voice network i.

Andy.

SDEG,

The Cisco 'Integrating Voice and Data Networks' ISBN-1-57870-196-1 is fairly comprehensive and should satisfy the majority of questions you may have regarding VOIP or VOFR.

Thanks,
Bob

I bet the high school wants to use VoIP so that they qualify for FCC Universal Service Funding. VoIP is an eligible service for funding to schools and libraries, where traditional voice extensions are not.

My son's high school is also going to a VoIP based system for this reason.

Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

Thank you all for the responses.

Mr. Harris, would you please let me know where I can get additional info on VoIP and FCC Universal Service Funding for schools? The school will be very much interested. I don't think they are aware of the possiblity of the funding.
Thanks.

You can start with this link:

You will find an application instruction section for schools and libraries.

If you e-mail me directly and let me know what state the school is in, I will find you some state specific guidelines as well. I also have some free information I have collected that will give you a great overview of VoIP.
Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back