Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with SGE2000P cisco SMB switch! trying to integrate into a three-tier cisco network

Status
Not open for further replies.

port27374

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
Hello guys -
Im working on the following

Cisco 4506-E (Core x2) acting as VTP and layer 3 routing.
Cisco 3700 series (Distribution x3)
Cisco 2900 series ( Access layer switches)

We have recently added a Ruckus Zonedirector3000 and about 50 AP's(ZoneFlex 7962) throughout our premises and need to devide these into several different vlans, for security aswell as ipaddressing purposes (DHCP running on Win 2K8 in VLAN 65 - all working well so far, we have over 500 clients connected to our network with no issues in ip addressing).

everything is running smoothly....

The problem I have starts here...
We purchased some low end Cisco SGE2000P (24 port PoE) switches in order to connect all the AP's and expand our access layer for this purpose. We are using them in Layer 2 mode.

Currently we have the following VLAN's

60-65 (internal, server, management and user networks) wired.
70-73 - as we have four wireless networks we wanted to divide up.

The config has been completed on the ZD side, however, when i try to set the AP groups into different VLAN's im coming up against some issues within the SGE2000p...
What id like to ask is the following:

In my SGE2000p config I have

-port 1 set up as a trunk with all VLAN1 traffic untagged, this is connected to port gi3/24 of my core which is configured as a trunk (this is allowing all vlans for now and encapsulation is dot1q on both sidesetc) ... sh int gi3/24 trunk shows trunk active and all vlans allowed, all looks normal from the core (4506) side... VLAN 1 is default native on both switches.I have also assigned a tagged vlan65 to this port. So now it is carrying 1U and 65T.

- im trying to connect my laptop to port 4 (VLAN 65) on the SGE2000p switch just to get a ping to my DHCP server via the trunk, its not working :s
in order to do this I have set the ports mode to general and assigned to it the 65U vlan, ive also tried many others combinations, but either end up locking the laptop out or just no ping traffic over the trunk.

Doesnt anyone have any experience in configuring the SGE 2000p switches for multiple vlans, eventually what we intend to do is connect about 10 AP's to this switch and assign them all to VLAN70, and have the DHCP server assign them address from the scope set for this VLAN.

My understanding is that these switches dont support a VTP client state, so for now we are just entering all the VLANS, manually.

Just to confirm what I know so far, the traffic should travel thus.... (by the way I know this doesnt show a 3 tier architecture but just for the sake of simplicity )

-layer 3 core switch ----> SGE2000p Trunked on both sides allowing VLAN1 as untagged and VLAN65 tagged.
- SGE2000p - Port 4 ----> set in access mode on VLAN65 untagged
Should be able to print DHCP server on VLAN65 via trunk, but cannot...

any help greatly appreciated.

Adam.

stupid question here.. but did you create the layer 2 on the switches? ie did you tell them there is a VLAN 65 ? that is the only thing that i could see as an issue from what you've written down.

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Hi -
yes, all the releavant ports have been configured as per layer 2 switching... the SGE2000p has two options, either to run as a L2 or L3 switch, obviously the former has been selected and confirmed.

On the 4506-E core switch, ive double checked the config file and all looks setup there for L2 switching as well.. as per the following:
just another point to mention here, I have done the basics such as swapping ports and cables etc...no prob there either.

what would you guys consider a sensible troubleshooting approach for this scenario?

imbadatthis's question was not to do with the interfaces being assigned into VLANs, but about whether you had created the VLAN itself on the switch.

I don't know anything about sGE2000, but can you do a "show VLAN" on them?

Can two devices on the SGE2000, on untagged VLAN65 ports, ping each other?

Can a device elsewhere on the network ping the DHCP server?

Hello guys - thanks for the responses, OK i think i had a breakthrough today, It was basically a hang up on the SGE2000 switch, when i disabled STP on the SGE2000 the trunk started working! Then I soft restarted the switch enabled STP again and everything seemed to come online, now i can ping across all vlans (via the trunk which is connected to the core) and my DHCP server is assigning IP address, in all relevant scopes, to the ZoneFlex access points etc...

anyway, just wanted to close this thread nicely, thanks again for your efforts!

Best Regards, Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back