Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with setting up a home practice server MYSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghus32

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2007
CA
Hey Guys I am looking for some tips on setting up a practice server for mysql.. I have a computer set aside to do this. I am thinkning of just putting linux on there.
As far as these things go I would need to get a server program such as Apache?? I will also need PHP installed as welll as PHPMyadmin to help with mysql??? I am very new to this server/database because I have always worked with windows 2003 server already in place. any help will be appreciated :)
Thanks

Who says you need Linux. and you only need a webserver, if you plan on doing websites based on PHP and mysql.

Anyway, you can just download packages that will install PHP,Mysql, and Apache either for windows or for linux, through a nice windows installer.

WAMP:
EASYPHP:
Of course if you really want to learn, I'd go to each website, and download their installers and then configure them to work with each other. Its a little longer, and you'll ave to mess around with conf and ini files. but its always good to know how to do this stuff.

PHP: Mysql: Apache:
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks for the info. My goal is to set up the server and use it to practice with databases. The new company I am ging to uses MySQL to run their databases. I have a good book on MYSQL but it assumes the server is already set up with PHPmyadmin. so to be prepared I need to set up a server and get some practice in..

You can install them on the same computer, or on a differmnt one. Heck i have them installed on my WinXp Pro laptop, so i can test PHP and mysql based webpages, on the road. Its a portable "server" if you will.

With that said, you still haven't told me if you are going to be working on webpages or not?

Apache doesn't need to be their for it to be a mysql server.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

As far as I know I will not need to be designing websites with this stuff. just working with databases. Phpmyadmin works as a GUI correct? I had trouble getting it all setup because I thought I did not have a server set up on my system. Is there an easy way just to practice just with databases?? I need to practice with the specific commands in SQL for example Select, AVG, etc..

PHPmyadmin works as gui. If you don't need to be web based, there are plenty of gui tools out there. Heck you could even just open the command prompt, and use Mysql's built in command parser, if you just want to practice with statements and such.

If you want a free, and decent Gui, I'd like to suggest SqlYog

You could also download Mysql's own Query Browser from their Website.

Thanks so much for the info. I think I am on the right track now. I will be moving into an enviroment where this is all setup just need to learnt the commands and practice practice practice. Thanks! :)

You are very welcome.

I forgot to mention MYSQL Administrator another tool from the Mysql website. it will help you setup users and permissions for the tables. so you can start working.

Once you get the hang of it, then i suggest you try some basic command line security alterations.

The MYSQL online manual, and the php online manual are also a great source of information, and examples.

You may also consider setting up an old Red Hat 9 and install it
You will have in a Linux environment all the tools you need
plus a great PHP editor: Quanta

To get a more recent release of PHP5, MySQL etc..
you may for very few Dollars get a SUSE Linux distribution (Quanta is installed too)
I will as you wish using a Linux dedicated box, which will be your best bet if you are not familiar with dual booting, because the few steps required to set it up could generate a few extra heartbeats!

More: You could also install on a MS box any form of Lamp, Xamp or Wamp
Pre-made all set package that installs in a breeze

Webdev,

OpenSUSE 10.2 is free and perfect for dual booting. I was able to install it on a Windows 2000 Server box flawlessly. Also, the Apachefriens website offers a simple to install and free Xampp package for Linux. Check it out at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back